Total Mayhem: Tear Gas, Looting, & Riots in Ferguson, Missouri!


NEW FOOTAGE Of Last Night at Ferguson MO. 8/16/2014

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon on Saturday declared a state of emergency and implemented a midnight to 5 a.m. curfew in Ferguson, where the police shooting of an unarmed black teenager sparked a week of protests and sporadic looting.
“I’m committed to making sure the forces of peace and justice prevail,” Nixon said at a community meeting. “If we’re going to achieve justice we first must have and maintain peace.”
But the meeting at a local church at times was tumultuous.
People repeatedly interrupted Nixon and Missouri State Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson, shouting, “You need to charge the police with murder!” and “We want justice!”
Johnson, in charge of security for the town, said the investigation is speeding up. He said some 40 FBI agents arrived in Ferguson on Saturday morning, going door-to-door to investigate the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown by officer Darren Wilson a week ago.
Looting, tensions dash peace in Ferguson Protesters, police standoff in Ferguson Friend of Darren Wilson: ‘He was scared’
Johnson praised local citizens who tried to stop the looting of several businesses early Saturday and said law enforcement would not be heavy-handed in enforcing the curfew.
“We won’t enforce it with trucks, we won’t enforce it with tear gas,” he said.
The fragile peace shattered in Ferguson earlier in the day when looters again targeted neighborhood businesses while law enforcement in riot gear largely looked on without intervening.
Some protesters tried to stop the looting, at times standing in front of one convenience store and preventing others from doing more damage. Police, criticized days earlier for being too aggressive with protesters, now drew the ire of merchants who told CNN they weren’t doing enough.
“You still have a job to do now, and now you’re not doing your job,” Tanya Littleton said of police after thieves broke into her beauty supply shop in the St. Louis suburb and made off with bags of hair extensions worth hundreds of dollars.
The city was more at peace Saturday afternoon as protesters marked the week that’s passed after the white police officer shot and killed Brown.
At noon Saturday — the hour that police say Wilson shot Brown a week earlier — protesters outside the Ferguson police station silently raised their arms into the air, mimicking Brown’s purported actions right before he died.
Days of angry protests followed witnesses’ accounts that Brown did nothing to provoke the shooting, and that at one point he raised his hands in surrender.